Formal Email

 Subject: Self-Introduction email



Dear Prof Blackstone,



I hope this email finds you well. My name is Austin and I am a first year mechanical engineering student at SIT. I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and express my excitement for your upcoming module on critical thinking and communicating. 


I went on a slightly longer education path compared to the others. After secondary school, I studied in ITE College West before enrolling into Ngee Ann Polytechnic in 2018 before graduating in 2021. I studied mechanical engineering both in ITE and Ngee Ann Polytechnic, and now again in SIT. I chose to study engineering back then because as a kid, I always liked to find out how things work. I would tear my toys apart and try to put them back together again just because I liked it and I wanted to know how it works although I have to admit that my success rate was not a 100% so I ended up with some broken toys. I also really loved Legos as a kid, and indeed I still do. However, these days, I prefer the adult Lego shop also known as Ikea. The only reason I purchase Ikea furniture is so I can have fun assembling them. All of these reasons are why I have a deeply rooted passion for engineering and it is why I chose this course of study many years ago. I think that my passion for engineering and seeing things from an engineering point of view is what makes me unique too. For example, I love to play golf, I play golf multiple days a week. And even when playing golf I see the engineering side of it. The clubs that I use are created from engineering, the shape of the face, the weight and everything about the club is carefully engineered to give me the best ball striking performance. Even in the ball itself, the different layers within the ball and the surface of the ball, all these were carefully considered when engineering the ball to have the best ball flight and distance. Therefore, I believe that being able to see everything from an engineering point of view is what makes me unique. 


I would say that one of my strengths in communication is empathy. I am able to recognise the importance of being able to understand other people's feelings, which is very important in my opinion as we have to work in groups most of the time whether in school or at work. An example of this was during a group project we had to do in polytechnic. One of my group members, let's call him John, was visibly upset halfway through group discussion and when he went to the toilet I followed him so I could talk to him and try to understand his situation, if any. Instead of focusing on the task at hand, I understood the importance of addressing what John was going through. It turned out that a close family member of his got into a car accident and he found out halfway through the discussion. I empathised with his situation and acknowledged his feelings. This made him feel heard and supported. When I got back from the toilet with him, I discussed with the team about redistributing the workload in order to give john some time to visit his family member in hospital and to be back at 100% to be able to contribute to the team. This is a good example of my strength in empathy and I firmly believe that empathy is an important trait that everyone has to have in order to not only be a good team player, but a better person. 


One weakness I have in communicating is that I avoid difficult conversations. I'm not really a confrontational person by nature and I feel bad when I have to bring up the negatives in other people. An example of this would be in a previous relationship, where my partner would constantly do things that I did not necessarily like but I did not want to engage in that difficult conversation with her. Over time, me not wanting to engage in that difficult conversation led us to grow distant from each other. There were many more misunderstandings between each other and there were many unresolved issues. Eventually, we called off the relationship but it is quite sad to see that all this stemmed from me not wanting to have that difficult conversation. In a school and work context, this is also very relevant when I am working in a team. I recognise that I have to be able to tell my other teammates when they are underperforming in order to remain productive as a team. I understand that avoiding difficult conversations is a weakness of mine and I am actively trying to improve upon it. 


I hope that in this module I will enhance my active listening skills. While I believe that I may be able to express my ideas, I realised that I might not be fully engaged when other people are presenting their ideas. In this module, I aim to develop my skills to actively listen, to be able to give the presenter my full attention and to absorb and understand what they are saying so I can ask clarifying questions and be able to give constructive feedback. Another goal for this module is that I hope that I can practise my public speaking and I'm sure many of us have anxiety when it comes to public speaking. I am not trying to get rid of the anxiety of public speaking but I am trying to learn how to put that anxiety aside when I am giving presentations. I tend to speak too fast when I am nervous about presenting so that is what I would mainly want to improve upon in this module.


I thank you again for your time in reading my email and I really look forward to attending your module. 


Best regards, 

Austin 



commented on, Wei Jie's, Quan Xin's and Justin's posts.

Revised on 23/11/2023

Comments

  1. Impressive introduction and interest. Your examples gave me a better understanding of yourself. I feel that the sentences in your paragraph that describe your weakness can be shortened and combined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you constructive feedback, I will take note! I look forward to working with you in class.

      Delete
  2. Hi Austin, great introductory letter, as it really shows your enthusiasm. You gave many good examples and thoroughly explained yourself, although it might have ended up being too wordy. Shorterning some sentences or rephrasing will definitely improve your letter. Overall, great content, but language use could be improved. Other than that, amazing work, lets work hard together to achieve our goal in this module!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Justin! I will take note of what I need to do better! Look forward to working with you in class.

      Delete
  3. Hello Austin, through this letter alone, it made me feel like I have now known you on a different level. It is quite obviously seen that you have been through quite a little, and I admire your courage sharing them here. One thing I liked is your ability to empathise with people's feelings, it is not very commonly seen these days but it's nice seeing someone around me with that posses that. I have engaged in conversations with you during class a few times and I could tell that you potentially have more than what you portray yourself to be. I am pretty sure that this module will eventually build you up better as an individual and I'm looking forward to see that side of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback Kristine. I look forward to working with you in class.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Austin, for the highly informative and entertaining letter. It's well organized, richly detailed, and authentic in that you reveal key examples to illustrate important information about yourself. I was especially amused as you explained that while your interest in engineering was reflected in your passion for legos, nowadays you further that by buyuing at Ikea. Great stuff!

    There are a few areas of language use where this letter can be improved.

    1. Use of caps
    -- prof Blackstone > ?
    -- ITE college west > ?

    2. verb tense
    -- ...I have to admit that my success rate is not a 100% .... > (is: past or present?)

    3. punctuation
    -- However these days, ... > (transition word) However, these days,
    -- Therefore I believe... > ?
    -- ...being able to understand other people's feelings which is very important .... > ?
    -- ...An example of this was during a group project we had to do in polytechnic, one of my group members, ... > (comma splice) ?
    -- I empathised with his situation and acknowledged his feelings, this made him feel heard and supported. > (comma splice) ?

    These are issues that can be easily resolved. What's more important is the clear flair you have for writing.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your detailed feedback prof! I will make the relevant changes in due time.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your feedback Wei Jie. Glad to hear you liked my letter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts